As I continue to read, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, I have realized that having a disease does not only physically affect the actions you take, but can mentally guide you to how you act towards others. Now I'm not talking about how some diseases can turn you crazy, but more in how it can cause the victim to take into consideration the lives of those affected by their disease. I have noticed this, because the main character Hazel has followed many routes she might not have wanted to do, to help others feel more comfortable with her cancer.
For example, she agreed to go to meetings with our cancer victims so that her mother wouldn't worry that she was depressed even though she would have rather read. Another example is that Hazel refused to date Augustus Waters because she didn't want to let him down. This is because his previous girlfriend looked very similar to Hazel herself, and had sadly passed away. Because Hazel knows her disease will eventually cause a premature death sooner or later, she didn't want to put Gus through another dead girlfriend. This personally made me sad because I think Hazel really likes Gus. Overall, this book has given me new insight on how a disease such as cancer can not only affect them physically, but also affect life choices they make.
This is a really strong post and you did a really good job showing your opinion on the subject!! I REALLYYY want to read this!!! But yeah, you did a good job analyzing the character's actions.
ReplyDeleteGood post Holly! I agree, Hazels disease definitely affects how she treats other people and I agree that she would probably act differently. This was a great character study.
ReplyDelete