In the book, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, the main character Hazel is a victim of lung cancer. It's almost certain that she won't live a long life, and she generally prefers to sleep, read and be by herself. She says that it's a "side effect" of cancer. When her friend Gus asked her what her hobbies were, she couldn't think of anything. He then went on saying how he dislikes those who become their disease and let it stop them. Overall, this makes me think about the unwillingness for some people to push past things that stand in their way.
For Hazel, her cancer has made her resort to just wanting to be alone in her room. And even when she hung out with her friend, she told her she had to go home early when in reality, she just wanted to be alone. She feels it awkward to try to make other people understand what it's like for her to have this disease, and has seemed to just shrug her shoulders instead of making the best of it. This is one way she has "become her disease." Another example I can think of in real life is when it seems that there is no hope, so people just give up instead of trying to fight. For example, when others tell people that they can't do something, many agree and just give up. However, I think that you shouldn't listen to others and always follow your dreams if you work hard. In conclusion, I think that one thing shouldn't end up controlling how you live your life.
Interesting post, Holly. I've read and enjoyed this book as well and I agree with your viewpoint in theory. However, I think you need to dive deeper beneath the surface because I think that there's a lot more to the story the Hazel just giving up.
ReplyDeleteGreat post! It's really cool how you related to the point of view of Gus, and showed your views ontop of that as well. I've been wanting to read this book for a while now and it sounds really cool. I agree with you as well and think you did a great job of summing up your thoughts towards the characters and life.
ReplyDeleteGreat post Holly! Celia also did a post about this book and from both of your responses it looks really good! I really want to read it now. I thought it was really interesting when you said that she "became her disease". That makes sense because if people who have such a terrible thing like cancer give up then there is no motivation to live which is extremely sad. You did a really good job :)
ReplyDelete