As I finished the book "Specials," by Scott Westerfeld, I realized a connection between empty-headed bubbleheads and the fact that there are no wars or arguments between them. In the book, there is a city called Diego where the people are given the choice of whether or not they want lesions in their brains or to be "random-minded" and think for themselves clearly. Unfortunately, in the city where Tally comes from is against having clear and open minds, so they saw Diego as a threat and sparked war. This makes me think that ideas come with a price: arguments and war. Because the minds of pretty bubbleheads are too muddled to form clear ideas, there is no room for war or disagreement.
I think this because when the main character Tally listened to conversations of people in Diego, she realized that most of it was arguments. However, back in her city, it was very uncommon to have any disagreement between people. This makes me feel upset that in order to have a personality and have your own thoughts, you can spark disagreements that could end up killing people. This happens because when everyone has their own opinions, they might think that they are right and try to argue with people who think otherwise. This makes me think about how you can't only have good or bad, because they can't exist without each other. Is this the reason behind those who invented the lesions? This just ads to my previous conflict expressed in an earlier post about how I feel about Pretties and Uglies and the Smokies. Would it really be bad to just live in a peaceful world without wars? Or is having your own mind fully to yourself worth the risk?
Wow, your post was really thoughtful and deep! It really got me thinking. I mean, I love peace, but if I had to choose between peace and depth, it would be a hard decision. Great post!
ReplyDelete