As I read "Specials," the third book of the "Uglies" series by Scott Westerfeld, there are two types of lesions that doctors put into people's brains when they are operated on. One lesion is for the Pretties. When people in this series turn sixteen, they are turned beautiful. However, the doctors put lesions in their brains to make them feel muddled, and not have a clear mind. This way, they would never cause wars, violence, or anger. The other lesion is for the Specials. Specials are dangerously fast and alert. They put down anyone who tries to rebel, such as the Smokies, who are people who run away from the operation of turing Pretty so their minds don't become messed up. And although the Specials have very clear minds, the lesions make them feel as though they are better than everyone. I agree with the main character Tally, that both lesions are wrong.
Tally escaped being Pretty- minded, but later was turned into a Special. Although her friend thinks that the lesions to make Specials think they are better is good because "it's true," Tally knows that they are bad. For example, after the boy she loved wasn't turned into a Special, she went to see him. But she felt sick after she realized she thought she was so superior compared to him. I agree with Tally's feelings, because in this series, they are trying to create a type of Utopia by turning almost everyone Pretty and making them calm. However, if they are trying to do this, why would they make those who think they are better? This does not make the perfect world, because in the perfect world, everyone is equal. I also think that in general, putting these lesions into people without their consent is inhumane. Also feeling that you are better than someone is harmful. It can put others down and cause you to become a mean, stuck up person. Overall, I respect Tally's opinion that both lesions are bad, even though some think they are good because they help keep order. I also admire the fact that Tally followed her heart, which led her to realize that all of the operations have horrible side effects. I wonder how Tally will express her feelings towards the lesions throughout the rest of the book.
Holly, you brought up some great points about the book Specials. I agree with you that both lesions are unjust and just another way for the tyrannical government to flex its muscles. I like how you add in your own opinion while supporting your thesis with facts. Good job!
ReplyDelete