Saturday, June 1, 2013

Religion

As I continue to read The Life of Pi, by Yann Martel, many issues of religion are brought up.  This is mainly because Pi loves God so much that he wants to be Hindu, Muslim and Christian.  This predicament puts many people of his life in confusion.  Most of them don't understand and tell him he has to pick one.  They say it's impossible to be all three.  However, Pi is puzzled by these remarks and this too makes me think about the purpose of religion, and my view on this.

When the imam, the priest, and the pandit told Pi to choose a religion, Pi replied, "Bapu Ghandi said 'All religions are true .'  I just want to love God."  And for this, I feel that Pi should be allowed to practice all religions.  In every religion, I don't think it's a crime to want to love God.  This also brings up the matter of why we persecute other religions.  Throughout history, people have thought their religion was better.  When England was still the US's mother country, they persecuted anyone but those of the Anglican religion.  During World War II, Jews were severely hurt.  However, if all religions aim to praise a or some type of God, wouldn't it be sinful to try to keep others from it?  Or punish them?  For this reason, I think that in morals, Pi and anyone else should have freedom of religion or religions.

3 comments:

  1. Great post, Holly! I agree that people should respect all religions. I think Pi should be able to practice whatever religion or religions he wants to practice. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post, Holly! I never thought about religion in that perspective before. I agree that no one should be religiously persecuted, regardless of their beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Holly! I like how you brought in historical facts to enrich your piece. I agree that people should respect others' religions, but why should belief in God have to be bound by tradition? I think that if Pi loves God that much then maybe he doesn't need a religion.

    ReplyDelete